Competency-based nursing education : guide to achieving outstanding learner outcomes
- Competency-based nursing education :guide to achieving outstanding learner outcomes / Marion G. Anema, Jan McCoy.
- New York : Springer Pub. Co., 2010.
- xii, 228 p. ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Vision of competency-based education / Marion G. Anema -- Developing and applying competency-based education / Marion G. Anema -- Applying a model to develop and implement a competency-based education program/course / Marion G. Anema -- Transitioning to the CBE approach / Janice L. McCoy -- Developing valid and reliable assessments / Janice L. McCoy and Marion G. Anema -- Data collection and use to verify achievement of outcomes / Marion G. Anema -- Making the change to CBE / Janice L. McCoy and Marion G. Anema.
- 9780826105097 (alk. paper), 0826105092 (alk. paper), 9780826105103 (E-book), 0826105106 (E-book)
The need for competency-based education (CBE) in nursing has been recognized for years. CBE provides a way to help ensure that learners are competent at the end of educational endeavors. This book is designed as a resource for nurse educators who are responsible for diverse education programs.
Authors Anema and McCoy bring together all the elements of CBE, and provide a road map to develop, implement, and evaluate competency-based approaches to nursing education. The book provides valuable guidelines for developing organizational strategies, new care delivery approaches, and project planning tools. Guidance on performance assessment tools and data collection is also included.
Explains why CBE is needed and how it can help improve current education programs
Presents practical guidelines on how to transition to the CBE approach
Provides helpful guidance on developing valid and reliable assessments
Includes critical information on data collection and the use of data to verify achievement of outcomes
Contains practice activities at the end of each chapter to simulate real-life situations